English as a second language
* * *English as a second language: the study of English by nonnative speakers in an English-speaking environment. Cf. EFL.
* * *abbrevEnglish as a second language
* * *ESL UK [ˌiː es ˈel] US [ˌi es ˈel] noun [uncountable]English as a Second Language: English taught to people whose first language is not English, but who live in an English-speaking country and need English to communicate in daily life. This term is used especially in the US, Canada, and Australia.Thesaurus: english language teaching and learninghyponymSee also: EAL
* * *ESL (no periods),English as a second language: »
ESL texts, ESL programs.
* * *abbr. English as a second language
* * */ˌiːˌɛsˈɛl/ noun [noncount]: the teaching of English to people who speak a different language and who live in a country where English is the main language spoken◇ ESL is an abbreviation of “English as a second language.”
* * *ESL [ESL] [ˌiː es ˈel] [ˌiː es ˈel] abbreviation(in the US and Canada) English as a second language (refers to the teaching of English as a foreign language to people who are living in a country in which English is either the first or second language)
Useful english dictionary. 2012.